Maria’s New Mexican Kitchen is a Santa Fe institution. A favorite of generations of locals and visitors alike, we’ve been serving the distinctive cuisine of New Mexico and unparalleled margaritas since 1950. Maria and Gilbert Lopez started Maria’s as a small take-out space serving traditional New Mexican foods during the Santa Fe Fiestas. The Lopez family sold Maria’s to Don Hammond, then chief of the New Mexico State Police, who in turn sold to his bartender, Charlie Lopez, who then sold to Peter Gould and Pricilla Hoback. Al and Laurie Lucero purchased the restaurant from Gould and Hoback in 1985 and owned it for 27 years.
Born and raised in Santa Fe, Al Lucero grew up on New Mexican home cooking and his restaurant continued serving the authentic food for which Maria’s was known. In 2013, the Luceros turned over the reins to the Peters family and Santa Fe Dining restaurant group, and we have remained true to the culinary tradition. In 2019, after several years of increasing demand, Maria’s expanded into the historical art supply building next door. The expansion was an opportunity to marry the past with the present and give families more space to come together over shared meals.